Monday, July 2, 2012

Necessity is the Motherhood of Reinvention!

I look out at the expansive fairway and back up as if there's not enough room for what I am about to do.  A slow measured jog turns into an all-out run as I prepare for multiple cartwheels. One   two   three   four   five  –  and then I'm done. I look back, dimples of grass indicate where my hands and feet briefly touched down.  I'm very happy with what I just accomplished.

When I open my eyes I still see wall to wall green grass, but accomplishing the feat that I just did was virtual and now virtually impossible for me to do.   However, my mind is a powerful tool and keeps me as active as I was more than half a lifetime ago.  I envision taking the stairs three at a time and running whenever the mood strikes me.  In reality physical activities such as these are limited.  I don't allow that to determine who I am or what I am capable of doing in other areas, though.

As a large part of the nations' population grows older lifestyles become restrictive and have limitations placed upon them.  Many lose hope as they pine for the good old days: The days when they could run, climb and jump seem so long ago and, at the same time, just like yesterday.  

Our minds are powerful and capable of turning somersaults if we'll let them.  Now is the time to create what you once had by allowing your imagination to run wild.  Aging is no excuse for not singing or dancing.  There is no reason not to smile or laugh.  This might be the best time of your life as you attempt to do something you've never done before.


Desire and ability may be overruled by reality, but reality does have options.  Test the waters and find the middle ground of desire and ability.  You may be pleasantly surprised at what you can do.  Reinvent yourself.  You did when you stopped crawling and started walking.  You did it again when you went from riding a bike to driving a car.  You did it as you stopped getting allowance and started earning your own money.  And again you did it as you switched one career for another.  If Madonna, who is now in her fifties, can keep reinventing herself, so can you!



No comments:

Post a Comment