Thursday, January 8, 2009

Words That Rhyme

Thursday, January 8, 2009 [According to the Kabbalistic calendar, today and tomorrow are positive days].

I have always wanted to be a teacher.  Education and knowledge of any subject always fills me with a sense of accomplishment and pride.  When I have learned something I am always eager and happy to pass it along, share it with others.  It doesn't matter what the lesson learned is;  the definition of a new word, a recipe, history, or, something that I consider most valuable, spiritual discovery.

My main concern is, that while sharing, it is done in the spirit of teaching, not preaching.

Teaching.  Preaching.  When does one cross over to the other side?  Is it tone of voice?  Body language?  Is it the volume of one's voice?  Webster's defines 'preach'  as delivering a sermon, to advocate earnestly and to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner, while 'teach' is defined as to cause to know a subject or to guide the studies or impart knowledge.

I remember playing 'school' with my sisters Rachelle and Cynthia.  I loved being the teacher.  We would make up little tests and then correct them.  We so enjoyed marking the papers with a big 'E' for excellent and putting little gold and silver stars at the tops of the pages for work well done.  I don't ever remember playing congregation and wanting to be the preacher.  Perhaps it was best said by Pope - 'Men must be taught as though you taught them not'.

Currently I study with a couple of spiritual teachers.  I value their lessons, their knowledge and sensibility. But even more, I value that they impart and guide and, well, teach.  For while I really like being a teacher, what has given me enormous pleasure is the ability to be a student. 

To all of the teachers out there, both academically and spiritually, I say thank you. 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you grabbed my heart again. I loved your blog again!!!! Yes, keep up the good work. Love and miss you.
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your work will be published in due time. These poems are too great to go unseen.

    ReplyDelete