Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Please Hold While I Connect You....

I am the recipient of an incredible gift in the form of spiritual teaching.  As mentioned in one of my blog entries, being a student of spirituality and working at my own spiritual growth has been ongoing over the course of seven and a half years.  Just as those who diet can reach plateaus, spiritual learning can, at times, be confronted with stumbling blocks.  Yesterday I had an amazing experience.  

While on the way to a spiritual meeting I expressed to a very dear friend of mine the phenomenon of feeling totally connected for an extended period of time, only to have it replaced with almost total disconnection. Later that evening, as we were preparing to leave, our spiritual mentor addressed exactly what we had talked about.  He read and then handed me a single page that could have been composed as if he was in the back seat of the car and listening in to our conversation. 

Life Ebbs And Flows

A friend approached me recently and told me they were
having a hard time with the fact that they felt they had
"lost their connection" to spirit.  They had been having
wonderful experiences and now they felt empty.

I told them something that was told to me many years ago
that has been very helpful to me.  It's very simple.

"The sun rises, and the sun sets."

Ebbs and flows are natural in spiritual experience.
Nothing is lost in the times when it may feel like you have
"lost your connection".  Relax and enjoy life, and trust
that the next flow will be there when it should be.  Think
of life as moving upward on a spiral.  You will experience
similar things as time goes by, including ebbs and flows,
but each time you will be at a higher place on the spiral.

Another helpful point...

As you are "climbing the spiritual ladder", every kick in the 
butt can be a boost up the ladder.  Sometimes real friends, 
or life, gives us a boost by kicking us in the butt!

It's all ok.  Don't forget, life is eternal, enjoy it as fully as possible.

- written and reprinted with the permission of Thomas Walsh

Just as the tides ebb and flow in the course of nature, and our bodies respond in kind, so do our minds filter in and out our thoughts and spirit.  When the lamp plug pulls out from the wall and we have to plug it back in to get a connection, we do not panic.  We simply plug it back in. The electricity is still there.  When we make a telephone call and an operator places us on hold, the line is still open.

I leave you today with a lovely excerpt by Longfellow.................

The little waves, with their soft, white hands, 
Efface the footprints in the sands,
And the tide rises, the tide falls.

Wishing you light, love and the ability to undertake and overcome all challenges.


2 comments:

  1. Deb, you are so right about feeling connected one day and not another. Again, you nailed it!!!
    Keep up the great work.
    Much Love,
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Mom,Aunty Deb..u rock! as i read ur blog i can totally hear ur voice in my head..u know...that tranquile,soothing,mentor voice...u r like my therapy...u always give me something to think about and make sense of soooo much of my own nonsense...keep up the great work...u enlighten me... u know...ur 'bloggy' (hehe)
    love you
    u r a joy!

    ReplyDelete